Friday, May 23, 2008

Some thoughts on Mothering

I've been totally uplifted by Amanda Blake Soule's The Creative Family this week. I read it in a couple of sittings and have been dipping back into it frequently. Again, great to read something that affirms directions our family has chosen. There is plenty of inspiration for crafty ideas as we approach our hibernating winter time.

I've been mulling over the term "mindful parenting" as I don't consider myself to be a particularly natural, maternal-type mother or always present with the kids. This is a challenge as we have a philosophy of living life together. But I wonder if too often I'm expecting them to come along for my ride without mindfully participating in theirs?

One day this week I noted moments of mindfulness when pressing autumn leaves together, simply observing them working on their nature pictures, standing excitedly watching a huge crane at a Wellington construction site, waving at police cars leaving the station. And as always our read-aloud time each day.

How do you be present in the moment with your children? How do you shut out the clamour of the dishes, getting laundry dry, keeping the fire going, deciding on then making dinner, vacuuming up meal detritus, writing home-school exemptions, the need for space to yourself?