Sunday, August 31, 2008

Spring

I could almost weep with relief that we are now officially in Spring. Winter and I are not good companions but I got through with lots of knitting, crafting with the kids, snuggling together with good books, and great coffee made by The Man Who Works In The Shed.

I started a little spring display by making these birds with some repro vintage 1930's prints from my local quilting store. I used the pattern from Last-Minute Patchwork & Quilted Gifts. I6 has added a paper butterfly and we'll make pink tissue paper blossoms for it too.






















I am completely into children's books at the moment, particularly those with captivating illustrations. We borrowed Artist to Artist: 23 Major Illustrators Talk to Children about Their Art from the library and it is FANTASTIC. We read about a few of our very favourite illustrators this morning: Mitsumasa Anno, Quentin Blake and Eric Carle. The respect with which these published artists speak to my little 'already artists' is wonderful. The kids all had a go at Eric Carle inspired collages.


I feel the same about art as I do about poetry. School did me no favours in this area. I would love to learn more about making my own art one day - particularly drawing and watercolours. Yet again, my children inspire me with their passion, interest and creativity without boundaries.