Saturday, September 8, 2007

Peak Points to Ponder

My resident Peak Oil Freak drew my attention to a paper by Richard Heinberg and one paragraph jumped out in particular. I'm going to ponder his points this coming week and get some thoughts together.

"Are there some good things that are not at or near their historic peaks? I can think of a few:
  • Community
  • Personal autonomy
  • Satisfaction from honest work well done
  • Intergenerational solidarity
  • Cooperation
  • Free time
  • Happiness
  • Ingenuity
  • Artistry
  • Beauty of the built environment"
He writes: "Our central survival task for the decades ahead, as individuals and as a species, must be to make a transition away from the use of fossil fuels - and to do this as peacefully, equitably, and intelligently as possible."

I'll be back with my ponderings.