Sunday, July 18, 2010

Winter Kitchen

My Winter Triumvirate - Onion, Carrot and Celery. This threesome goes into a LOT of my winter cooking - soups, stews, ricie things, noodley things, etc. And my slow cooker? LOVE this especially in winter. I find my energy levels really sag at the end of the day and the last thing I want to do is cook dinner. Voila - it's already done!

And strange cuts of meat. Strange to me, at least. Oxtails. Never had them before. But they are now happily stewing away in the slow cooker nestled in amongst the onion, carrot and celery. I think the most respectful thing we can do for both animal and farmer, as meat-eaters, is to try all the strange cuts so we're not just growing and slaughtering them for their luscious flank parts. Tongue and tripe though? Not quite there yet!