Saturday, October 27, 2007

Work

"You will eat the fruit of your labour; blessings and prosperity will be yours." Psalm 128:2

I'll quickly note that we are not proponents of "prosperity theology" at our place. I simply like this Scripture about enjoying the results of your hard work. I was stimulated to think about "work" when Jen tagged me. My paid work career began at 14 years old when I got a job at our local dairy to start saving for university. I worked part-time in a supermarket later in high school and did summer work at the aluminium factory my grandad worked at. While at Uni I did part-time work in the ragtrade which turned into a full-time job when I finished. I was made redundant after 6 months and went on the dole. Six months later I got a job with an international aid and development organisation where I stayed for 9 years, with a bit of part-time study thrown in for good measure. In the middle of that time I left and did social research for a department at the University of Auckland Medical School. I went back to part-time work with the aid agency when my first baby was 5 months old.

I finally quit paid work when 3 months pregnant with #2. Since then I've had the privilege of choosing to be at home learning with my kids. Honestly, I still struggle with many aspects of this choice but I'm grateful for this opportunity!

There are so many intangible aspects to unpaid mothering work that I revel in the tangible achievements of craft. This weekend...

Cotton Baby Bolero from One Skein.

Quick and easy re-useable fabric shopping bag that's been claimed by I5.