Thursday, May 5, 2011

John Barleycorn

We've been enjoying a CD of Celtic Songs for Children alongside our learning this term. One of the songs is a traditional English folk tune called John Barleycorn - about turning barley into beer - a subject close to the heart of Man of the House. In yet another moment of home learning serendipity I discovered this awesome book at the library this week.

The farmer would have a corn doll in a place of honour over the mantle. We made some corn/wool dollies today and I've put one on my mantle. Maybe it will ensure a better barley harvest for Hubby. Sadly, the birds got all of his last one.


We did have a good self-sown pumpkin harvest this year. I'm seeing soup and pie in my future.

We found this lovely mushroom specimen in our garden this morning too.